Script Limit

Dr. John R. Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Thu Aug 7 13:48:00 EDT 2003

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> I'd urge people to drop a line to Kevin if this change would impact
> their
> products, describing how you use the capability. I can't speak for
> Kevin
> but I know he listens carefully to concerns of current customers when
> changes are being considered.

Good advice *if one is producing ``products'', i.e., applications that
just so happen to be written in metacard , but could have been done in
c or BASIC)*  I, however, produce extensible ``stacks''---following the
original hypercard model--- that I freely exchange with my students and
colleagues.  Often, these stacks are boot-strapped in that they provide
for a simple scripting language---a mixture of metatalk and procedures
and functions I have added---to accomplish some goal, such as a stack
that provides a resampling statistics language so that students and
colleagues can program their own resampling solutions, or a language to
program experiments that is itself extensible.  Thus, the user writes
lines of code (the afore-mentioned mixture of metatalk and new
commands) that are then executed (usually via `do', but sometimes by
replacing the script of some object): the user is not knowingly
programming metacard, but using the new language.  The proposed limits
mean that the metacard (ok, RR) ``player'' is broken.  To make use of
my ``stacks'', the user must now have a licensed version of metacard
(RR).  It is (was?) this boot-strapping extensibility of xtalks (as
with their threaded-interpretive-language, TILs, predecessors) that has
been the core secret of their success, and the proposed loss of it in
metacard/RR---the alleged successor to hypercard, is anathema.  RR just
becomes yet another cluttered IDE with an odd programming language.  At
a minimum, ``do'' should remain unlimited, but I would prefer to remove
the limit on replacing scripts, as well.  After all, haven't licensed
users agreed not to produce a new RR in RR/metacard?  And now that the
free (but 10-line script limited) metacard is to be gone, to be
replaced by a 30-day, web-checked (ugh!) demo, why are the limits
needed at all?  The whole direction is ominous.

--
John R. Vokey, Ph.D.                       |\      _,,,---,,_
Professor                                  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_