Script Limits

Mark Talluto lists at canelasoftware.com
Thu Aug 7 13:02:02 EDT 2003

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 09:36 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Mark Talluto wrote:
>
>> You bring up a point I did not think of till now.  Saving small
>> snippets of data in a script is the only way to save encrypted data in
>> a stack.  Data in a custom property can be viewed.  I know there are
>> other ways to encrypt data, but this is a nice simple way.
>
> I just did a test with MC 2.5:
>
> I made a stack with one field, and put "This is field data" into it.
> Then I added a custom prop and put "This is prop data" into it.
> Then I put "--this is script data" into the stack script.
>
> I saved it, then did a Save As, set the password, and saved this copy
> again.
> I quit MC and opened both stack files in TexEdit (any app that lets
> you open
> binries will do).
>
> In the non-password-protected stack, all three text strings are
> readable.
> In the password-protected stack none of them are.
>
> It seems a change was introduced in the engine at some point that now
> provides complete protection for all three types of data storage.

I just did another test in MC 2.5:

While it is true that the data is safe in a text editor, it is not safe
when you do the following:

Try opening that stack you created in MC.  You can not get to the
script data, but you can surely open up the custom property and read
what you put in there.

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com