MC & OpenGL (update)

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Thu Aug 7 08:56:00 EDT 2003

Amazing!

It would also be nice if you could script the objects in the view
and even their shapes/sides (like click on a side of a cube and
each side does something else... IOW, apply HyperTalk scripting to 3D
objects... one of my very oldest suggestions...)

BTW, to convice those managers, just make a presentation "using MC"
and show them side by side the features and ease of development using
MC in comparison to the cost of the other tools...  Im sure that when you
tell
them or show them the last slide with "build with metacard only" they will

understand...

cheers
Xavier

On 07/08/2003 15:05:04 metacard-admin wrote:
>> My understanding is that WW4 has begun.
>
>Oh I see... When did it begin ? When Runrev
>bought MC ?    ;-P
>

>> I think you'll need to write an external that draws directly into a
>> window - maybe something like the "life" external demo?
>>

>Well, drawing into a window isn't too difficult, and can be
>done when you use openGL in C/C++.
>I think I've achieved smthing slightly more exciting : drawing
>directly into a MC image control. Some of you probably
>remember the demo I did several months ago (still online at
>http://www.netchampagne.com/demoopengl/
>Windoze only).
>I say "more exciting" because IMHO it is more embedded
>in the MC environment than an extra window, and also it
>allows several interactive 3D windows to be included in
>the same stack simultaneously.
>As mentioned in my post from 2 weeks ago, this feature is
>now available for Win32 and Carbon.
>
>But my main question regarding the implementation of
>openGL in MC was : how end users would like to access
>3D properties and functions from within MetaTalk scripts...
>Anyone who has some experience with openGL coding
>in C/C++ or Java knows that using openGL is slightly more
>complex than setting a few QT properties for instance...
>
>I might be wrong but I have the feeling that MC users
>(or at least MC list members) are more experienced
>programers with experience in many languages / environments,
>while Rev users (or at least Rev list members) are more
>HC or Director users in search for a new tool...
>What I mean by that in that IMHO using interactive 3D
>in projects should be an attractive feature to members
>of this very list... And that good advices and wise
>considerations regarding 3D implementation should come
>from this list...
>Just imagine : networked 3D interactive apps could be
>more affordable now, requiring less development time...
>This should speak to game designers...
>
>For the anecdote, as I'm about to change job, I recently
>met a few managers of multimedia companies in Paris.
>The problem is (and has always been) that most of these ppl
>lack the technology knowledge to make good decisions
>regarding exciting projects. For that matter, they all
>think that Flash & Director (with the help of a few
>Xtras) are still the state-of-the-art for interactive
>media projects, and when I mentioned such networked 3D
>interactive apps, they immediatly thought in terms of
>long & expensive development in C/C++ ...
>
>JB

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER