Script Limits

Mark Talluto lists at canelasoftware.com
Wed Aug 6 16:41:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 01:13 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 02:56 PM, jbv wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid this script limit thing might be the first of a long
>> list of unexpected (and undocumented / unexplained) changes,
>> and discussions about them might clutter this list in coming
>> weeks...
>
> I confess that this news hit me pretty hard; we got the same news on
> the Revolution list.  However, there always has to be a first mention.
>  This mail is much better than finding an engine doesn't work as
> expected after downloading it.
>
> There is no indication that this change will be undocumented.
>
>> Last but not least, I think that getting messages from Kevin
>> saying "we're working on this and that... If anyone has any
>> objections to this, please contact me off list." isn't the best
>> strategy / politics to convince MC users to upgrade to Rev...
>
> In best light, I think we can see that Kevin is giving folks a
> heads-up on what is coming.  It also indicates that Kevin is desiring
> to work with people who currently have standalone product that will be
> affected by this.  Knowing Kevin, I expect things can be worked out.
>
> I agree that the 'off list' part may give an impression of dampening
> discussion of bad news and I can only guess of Kevin's motives there.
>
> I agree that this news along with licensing changes can make one
> wonder about the future.

I know that this limitation will cause of to rewrite sections some of
my existing products.  I don't see why this limitation must be imposed.
  We all agreed not to create a competing product for MC and Rev when we
bought the software.  It is in the EUA.  The ability to set the script
of a control (even if it was only 10 lines) was pretty handy.  I say
was because I have learned not to use that feature on more recent
products due to the 10 line limit.  I just swap out a control with the
new one that has the new script when one of my apps is updating a users
doc.  But this is a lot more work.  And this is only good for update
controls.  Imagine if you need to update the stack script or a card
script.  You would have to totally rebuild it your doc files on the
fly.  Not sure if I am explaining this in enough detail...but let me
stress that losing this feature will be a big bummer.

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com