Another speed dilemma

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Fri Apr 18 19:02:01 EDT 2003

I think you really need to look into the multi-dimensional arrays here. By
using uMap[x], you are speeding up one half (the x coordinate), but you are
still counting lines when you say "line y of uMap[x]". The larger y gets, the
slower this will be.

If you want the full speed up from arrays, you need something like this:
set the icon of cd btn bMap[z] to uMap[x,y]

Even though you say "line y of uMap[x]", this is still line counting. Just
knowing the exact line number is not enough: Metacard still needs to read 1
line at a time in order to count off lines and find the one you want.

For the sake of a quick test, you should be able to transform your existing
array like this:

repeat with x=1 to 330
    repeat with y=1 to (number of lines in uMap[x])
       put line y of uMap[x] into uMap[x,y]
    end repeat
end repeat

Run this before your original script, then use the uMap[x,y] syntax. Time the
second part and you should see a speedup.

HTH

<<
> repeat with x = gRow to (gRow + 8)
>      repeat with y = gCol to (gCol + 10)
>        set the icon of cd btn bMap[z] to (line y of uMap[x])
>        add 1 to z
>      end repeat
>    end repeat

Brian Yennie