65 to 530 to 65 solved

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 16 17:18:01 EDT 2003

Shari wrote:

> I found the reason for the sudden change in how long the handler took to run.
>
> Stack 1 is the main stack.
> Stack 2 is the embedded stack with the images.
>
> Sometimes I had Stack 2 visibly open, sometimes not.  When Stack 2
> was visibly open, the handler in Stack 1 ran quickly.  When Stack 2
> was closed, even with a "start using stack"  in operation, regardless
> of the alwaysBuffer, the handler in Stack 1 slowed down.
>
> I ditched Stack 2 and embedded the images into Stack 1.
>
> Anybody know why you cannot embed a list of images?

You can -- you just have to make sure they're loaded into memory.

One way is to visibly open the stack, as you noted.  Anything displated must
be read and decompressed, so they're ready to go.

If you want them in a stack which is open but not visible, you may have to
set the image's alwaysBuffer property to true to ensure that they're
decompressed and immediately displayable.

The same holds true for images in the primary stack if their visible
property is turned off:  setting the image's alwaysBuffer tells MC to store
them in memory decompressed and ready for display.