ID3 Tags

david david at anon.nu
Fri Apr 11 14:40:02 EDT 2003

There were some posts a while back regarding MP3 tag parsing... I've looked
at the docs and it seems pretty doable within MC - has anyone got anywhere
with this.

There is also a cross platform LGPL C/C++ library which would make it my
first externals project :) Must plug into MC, be cross platform and easy to
download - so those millions of free MP3 tag utilities not much use :(

I've done a little work on the scripts - cit's great to see how easy it is
to do IDV1 tags in MC. This is all you need:

on extract_ID3v1 someData, @songTitle, @artist, @album, @aYear, @comments,
@genre
  put char -128 to -1 of someData into last_128Bytes
  if char 1 to 3 of last_128Bytes is "TAG" then
    get binaryDecode("a3a30a30a30a4a30c", last_128Bytes, tabBit, songTitle,
artist, album, aYear, comments, genre)
    return true
  else
    return false
  end if
end extract_ID3v1

Having some problems with IDV2 as I haven't fully got the hang of all things
binary yet :( Anyone done any work on this?

Also... if there are any good references out there??? Need to understand how
to encode binary data for cross-platform use for instance / issues to do
sending unicode between different platforms....

NB - anyone interested in getting involved with the installation is more
than welcome - should be going to New York with it in Autumn if all works
out. Mail me off list if interested.