Reliability of MP3 playback: best solution?

david david at anon.nu
Thu Apr 10 14:11:00 EDT 2003

Working on a sound project / installation for June. Need to make a rather
unusual Juke Box. I've used the player object and quicktime, which works
well but not quite well enough for the installation.

This is because I need to use recycled computers, so can't throw fast
processors and RAM at the project.

Any tips? Thinking of using Linux, but if so what's the best way on Linux -
there are so many :)

    1) Xanim (overkill?)

    2) Shell to some commandline player mpg123 ?

If anyone has any demos of projects tested on Linux - gratefully received!

If I use QuickTime, how do I set a nice fat buffer so that there are no drop
outs? Seems to be all automagical (but just ot quite magical enough :)