The speed of MC

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Apr 1 07:48:01 EST 2003

Another 2 things to consider in your loops:
- set cursor to busy
  will slow down scripts considerably.

- If you have a "progress" bar, dont change it at every loop,
   do so for each percent change or at every 100th...
   this will also save major time...

for example
  repeat with x = 1 to 100000
    if char -3 of x is not oldx then
      set cursor to busy
      showstatus
     put char -3 of x into oldx
  end if

So remember to avoid screen updates...

Another consideration is

if x is in "picasso" or x is in "miro" then...
is slower than
if x is in "picassomiro" then

But to avoid mistakes or substring-matching errors,

if x is among the items of "picasso,miro" then...

Enjoy more speed!
Xavier