Compiling for Windows

Yates, Glen JAMES.G.YATES at saic.com
Mon Sep 30 21:17:01 EDT 2002

> Scott Raney wrote:
>
> >> While I understand the HIG specs, the problem is that
> without MDI we need to
> >> create workarounds for apps that could benefit from that model.
> >
> > Not sure what this has to do with starting multiple copies of an app
> > up: even apps that support MDI work this way...
>
> Try Word.

Yes! I noticed this a while back, and it is very disconcerting. If I open
Word then open what I think is another instance of Word, then quit it, the
first instance quits as well.

However, if I try the same thing in Excel, the first instance remains
running. This is very inconsistant UI behavior (mis-behavior).

As for what this means for Metacard, I don't know. We used to have
consistency within a given platform, on the Mac launching an already running
app does not start a new instance (which is why I have 4 sequentially named
copies of Bolo on my mac :-) ), so thats what Metacard should do on the Mac.
On windows new instances are launched, so thats what Metacard should do on
Windows, however, now Microsoft has screwed up this formerly consistant
behavior.

-Glen Yates