checking for Internet connection

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Sep 29 15:36:01 EDT 2002

Recently, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> How do you tell if an Internet connection is availble without typing up the
> user's machine?

Not sure about Macs, but I've done some testing with connections on Windows.
It appears that any call to a Web-based URL will automatically open a
connection if a connection is not already available, even on dialup
connections.  While this is useful functionally, it also introduces a hurdle
when it comes to anything that relies on the timing for a response, since
the dialup process may take a variable amount of time, depending on multiple
factors.

The (not-so-graceful) way I've addressed this is to alert the user that my
app needs to connect to the Internet to perform a requested function, and
have the user allow or deny the connection.  There is also a checkbox
preference that reads "Don't show me this again" so the user can disable the
notice.

If you find a reliable way to test for the presence of a connection, please
share with the list.  Personally, I've never been able to get past the
idiosyncrasies of a dialup situation.

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director