Update Mac menubar fails in standalone

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Sep 23 02:40:01 EDT 2002

Recently, Shari wrote:

>> Is it possible that you password-protected the stack in the standalone?  I
>> think you should be able to do all the above provided the stack is not
>> protected.
>
> One embedded stack is encrypted, but not the one that used the
> handler, or the one the handler was in.
>
> I ran into several limitations in the standalone.  A standalone puts
> the program into starter kit mode.

I didn't think this was the case, but it does seem to be true.  This is
unfortunate for folks who need to modify scripts at runtime in anything
outside the development environment.  Perhaps there is a way you could store
your "changing" code in separate stacks and load the stacks as needed using
your standalone.

To Scott Raney & Company: would it make sense to add a licenseKey property
or something similar to permit creation of "licensed" standalones that can
modify scripts?  Don't know if this would make MC too accessible to folks
who haven't paid for licenses but the option to create editable scripts via
a standalone does seem legitimate.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director