What makes a good programmer?

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Sat Sep 21 02:59:01 EDT 2002

Uh oh Shari, looks like you have a full-fledged manifesto here, if you
add a few bullet points resummarizing your points  ;-)

Where you said:

> What makes a good programmer?
>
> LOTS of testing.
> Never assume the standalone version will work exactly as the stack
> version.
> I will be surprised if my beta testers give it a go ahead with no
> bugs.  There is so much in this program.

Here's an interesting software-development paradigm you may not have
read about before (I didn't until just a month ago or so):
http://www.idevgames.com/content/article.php?id=40

Zero-Defect Software Development, meaning you'll never implement
something without making sure it works completely and doesn't break any
of your previously-written script/code.  It's interesting, and it's
something I'm using to work on my newest project, an entry in the
iDevGames.com contest.  For making something and getting it to the
world quickly, I think using zero-defect development is the only way to
go, otherwise you'll have some really ugly bugs that you'll have to
spend way too much time trying to fix.

On a side note, I think RAD-developed games could really shine in a
contest like this.  Of course, Apple's OS X Developer Tools are getting
closer and closer to RAD tools all the time... though the language is
still nowhere near as easy as MetaTalk.
--
Go Bison!
http://www.karlbecker.com