What makes a good programmer?

andu undo at cloud9.net
Thu Sep 19 14:56:01 EDT 2002

--On Thursday, September 19, 2002 14:20:50 -0400 Shari
<gypsyware at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Maybe I'm just a bad programmer...
>
> Ben,
>
> We are all at different levels of knowledge :-)  Doesn't make you a BAD
> programmer.  You just hit upon something you haven't learned yet.
>
> You can program for 20 years, and still be learning new things.
>
> I know I ask a lot of questions on the list that may seem "dumb" to some,
> but I consider myself a good programmer.  I am learning a new environment
> with Metacard, hence the many questions.
>
> What is the definition of a "good programmer"?
>
> The desire and willingness to learn what you don't yet know.  The desire
> to create a quality program.  The diligence to actively seek out bugs and
> squish them before release.  It's rare to put forth a program that is
> 100% free of bugs, but I do have programs out there still at version 1.0.

This sounds to me more like the definition of a good student or an
enquiring mind which of course are prerequisites for being a good
programmer.
Going from A to B in an almost straight line, now you're talking.
The principal, in this case, I think matters more. I will reserve that
ambition for my next incarnation and promise to start earlier in life.
Not being a terrible programmer is not so bad either;-).

<snip>

Regards, Andu Novac