Screen changes colors on launch

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Sep 19 14:43:00 EDT 2002

Recently, "Shari"  wrote:

> Even though my monitor supports thousands of colors, I keep it set to
> 256, as all the graphics I use for my games are 256 colors, to be
> "safe" on all systems.
>
> So using a 216 color palette when creating graphics rather than 256
> would prevent this?

If it were me (I am more picky about graphics than other folks), I would use
the full palette available to each platform.  Then again, I would probably
use greater than 256 colors anyway; I would require at least 16 bit color to
be available since most systems these days are built to display > 256
colors.

Unless you're targeting older systems, 16 bit color is a reasonable color
requirement, especially if your talking gamer systems whose machines are
juiced up to display high quality 3D motion graphics.  IMO, 256 colors may
be somewhat outdated in this area.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director