Screen changes colors on launch

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Sep 19 14:19:01 EDT 2002

Recently, "Shari"  wrote:

> When launching a standalone, before the window actually opens, the
> computer screen, all the windows currently open etc., change colors
> to a very vivid assortment of colors.
>
> I checked the colors of the main stack and embedded stacks, and none
> of them are using these vivid greens and reds.
>
> I don't know if any of Metacard's stacks use them, but I would doubt it.
>
> What causes this, and how can it be prevented?
>
> I know I've launched programs that did this before, and always
> wondered why the program's author allowed it or created it.

You are probably running your apps under a 256 (8 bit) color monitor
setting.

When apps load that use custom colors outside what are currently available
in the system, you will see a color flash while the system shifts over to
the new color palette.

The only ways to avoid this are:

1) Set your monitor to display greater than 256 colors (16 bit thousands or
24 bit millions [also referred to as "true color"])

2) Create your graphics using colors available in Windows system palette.
Also an option is what is called the "Web Safe" color palette, but the range
of colors available is smaller (only 216 colors).

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design