Looking For Suggestions

Robert Chiasson rchiasson at sprint.ca
Tue Sep 17 19:50:01 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Rossi" <scott at tactilemedia.com>
To: <metacard at lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 8:36 PM
Subject: Looking For Suggestions

> I've got a standalone that needs to run on Windows as a single instance
(no
> multiple instances of the same app).  I'm looking for suggestions on how
> prevent duplicate launches of the same app (the app may also be installed
in
> more than one location on the same machine).
>
> I'm familiar with the open apps function of the EXT DLL, but I'm trying to
> avoid use of this since it makes my apps unstable.  I've also toyed with
the
> idea of writing an "app busy" message to the registry or a temp file on
the
> drive, but I can't figure out how to determine if the app that created the
> message is running

I'm new to this MetaCard stuff, but it seems to me to be an easy exercise in
logic - if the busy message is there to be read, then another instance of
the program is running, and the running instance will clean up after itself
by removing the message before it exits?

So if you find the temp variable, shut down.

------
Robert