Un-American characters

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Mon Sep 16 05:21:01 EDT 2002

>Hi Wilhelm,

>>>Custom properties can hold binary values ! and it would be not
>>>desirable to have these automatically converted by MC
>>>(isotomac/mactoiso)  [;-)]
>>>Therefore only text in fields and buttons etc. are handled
>>>automatically when transferring stacks to another platform.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>
>>>Klaus Major
>
>>Thanks for the feedback to both of you. I took a second look at this
>>matter: Special national (un-American or un-English) characters in
>>custom properties are *not* preserved both ways, from Mac to Win and
>>from Win to Mac. This holds even for the *names* of the custom
>>properties.
>
>Oh, that's new to me...

I have worked with special national character for many years, and the
days when I had to make conversion routines are long past. The data
are stored as htmlText in a custom property without any problems on
both Mac and Windows. Wilhelm, I shall send you a small stack with
examples. You are, however, right about custom property names, if
your stack is to be used on several platforms you should stay away
from including spesial characters in the names.