Un-American characters

Klaus Major k_major at os.surf2000.de
Sat Sep 14 08:01:01 EDT 2002

Hi Wilhelm,

>> Custom properties can hold binary values ! and it would be not
>> desirable to have these automatically converted by MC
>> (isotomac/mactoiso)  [;-)]
>> Therefore only text in fields and buttons etc. are handled
>> automatically when transferring stacks to another platform.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Klaus Major

> Thanks for the feedback to both of you. I took a second look at this
> matter: Special national (un-American or un-English) characters in
> custom properties are *not* preserved both ways, from Mac to Win and
> from Win to Mac. This holds even for the *names* of the custom
> properties.

Oh, that's new to me...

> If this is designed to allow custom properties to contain binary data,
> as a matter of fact the names of the custom properties need not be
> effected, because only the contents of the custom property would
> contain
> the binary data.
> I still have troubles to fully understand this feature of attaching
> binary data. Could you or anybody else give a practical example for
> attaching binary data to a custom property and why such data need to be
> located at this place?

set the whatsoever of this stack to
url"binfile:C:/windoof/very_binary_file.bin"

Again too simple to be obvious ;-)

Why ? This might be a philosophical issue :-)

No, just think of storing files that have to be installed somewhere
but have to be delivered in only one (1) file.

> On the other hand, could the problem not be the solution??
> If binary data can be transported safely and unchanged across platform
> borders, why not store - Metacard internally - custom properties and
> their names as binary data? This would increase Metacard and Revolution
> platform transferibility.

I cannot see what might be wrong with the current situation...

> Regards,
>
> Wilhelm Sanke

Regards

Klaus Major