MC concurrency performance?

andu undo at cloud9.net
Tue Sep 10 03:23:01 EDT 2002

--On Tuesday, September 10, 2002 17:01:44 +1000 Alex Shaw
<a.shaw at mailbox.gu.edu.au> wrote:

> Thanks for the info..
>
> But what happens to other connections which try to access a server app
> port while it's processing a request? Does "accept on port with message"
> buffer those or do they get dropped and the client must "open socket"
> every few millisecs?

Unless there are technical problems all connections are accepted. They are
processed as the next handler (..with message calls the next handler)
finishes the previous request.

> The docs on "open socket" say data will buffered until the connection is
> made.. "socketTimeoutInterval" ? Again the docs only say this is related
> to read/write. Does the MC command "open socket" automatically try to
> connect at intervals? What about "socketError"? How different is this
> from how a browser tries to connect?

It works the same like a browser. SocketTimeout has to do with an already
opened socket, socketError when you cut the wire.

> Too many questions .. not enough time to experiment :)
>
> One idea was to have 2 server apps on the one machine.. app1 would only
> listen and queue requests while app2 would process the queued requests.
> But don't know how to transparently swap the [now open] connection from
> client-> server app2 to server app2 without breaking the connection &
> contacting the client from app2 (I don't think this will work if trying
> to process a request from an internet browser instead of custom app).
> Also the issue of transfering data from app1 to app2 ... begs a few basic
> questions...
>
> Can separate mc apps access a shared memory pool?
> Is it safe to have 2 mc apps share a substack?
>

> Now.. maybe I'm getting to ahead of myself & need to to read more about
> how tcp works on the various system levels but what I have discovered so
> far are that port number from subsequent connections from a [same] client
> keeps increasing after each session (opened then closed)..  These are
> UDPs in particular I'm talking about now, is this a system thing or
> should I be worried that the client will run out of ports? :)

Your best bet is to actually build the server and see how it works. The
performance is pretty good but not industrial grade.