MC concurrency performance?

Alex Shaw a.shaw at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 03:02:01 EDT 2002

Thanks for the info..

But what happens to other connections which try to access a server app port
while it's processing a request?
Does "accept on port with message" buffer those or do they get dropped and
the client must "open socket" every few millisecs?

The docs on "open socket" say data will buffered until the connection is
made.. "socketTimeoutInterval" ? Again the docs only say this is related to
read/write. Does the MC command "open socket" automatically try to connect
at intervals? What about "socketError"? How different is this from how a
browser tries to connect?

Too many questions .. not enough time to experiment :)

One idea was to have 2 server apps on the one machine.. app1 would only
listen and queue requests while app2 would process the queued requests. But
don't know how to transparently swap the [now open] connection from
client-> server app2 to server app2 without breaking the connection &
contacting the client from app2 (I don't think this will work if trying to
process a request from an internet browser instead of custom app). Also the
issue of transfering data from app1 to app2 ... begs a few basic questions...

Can separate mc apps access a shared memory pool?
Is it safe to have 2 mc apps share a substack?

Now.. maybe I'm getting to ahead of myself & need to to read more about how
tcp works on the various system levels but what I have discovered so far
are that port number from subsequent connections from a [same] client keeps
increasing after each session (opened then closed)..  These are UDPs in
particular I'm talking about now, is this a system thing or should I be
worried that the client will run out of ports? :)

I wonder if you could do something like...

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/index.html

.. in mc?

regards
alex