Tips for code porting to MC

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Oct 29 12:10:00 EST 2002

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 08:18 AM, xbury.cs at clearstream.com
wrote:

> Im looking for tips regarding porting variable redirection (pointers and
> pointers to pointers)
> and c-style struct variables.

I wouldn't ignore arrays, but I have been considering substructure in
strings.  MC stings are byte strings and it might be that same-size char
chunk replacements are efficient.  If so, you can create a data space
within a string in a global variable.  I'd run the experiment, anyway.

Or you might try a mix in which some data are packed in strings and
others are not, in which some pointers are implemented as arrays and
some are implemented as string offsets.  This might be better if strings
are always rebuilt.

Dar Scott