Aliases in cgis

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sat Oct 26 18:06:01 EDT 2002

Hello Jacque,

> I have a MetaCard cgi script on my local network (OS X) that puts a
> stack in use. It works fine as long as the stack is in the
> CGI-Executables folder. What I want to do is keep the stack outside the
> cgi folder but still readable by the cgi script, so that the data
> returned by the script is always current with the stack in my user folder.

Did you try in inverting the problem, by letting the stack in the cgi
folder and putting an alias of it in your user folder ? Else, by
default, the macosx finder aliases are only usables inside the current
home account of the logged user. Are you sure that the cgi script and
stack owners are set as needed ?

> I set the permissions for the stack in my user folder to 755. I tried
> putting the long path to the stack into the script but it didn't work
> (but maybe I got the path wrong.) I tried putting a Mac alias made in
> the Finder into the cgi folder, as well as a unix-type aliases made in
> Terminal. Neither of those worked either. I set the http.config file for
> my user name to include "useSymLinks" in the options line (though I
> don't think that file is consulted,) and the Mac http.config file
> already includes it.

Because i'm only a newbie in about MacOSX (and still prefer Linux to
work in about web toys !), i can't figure more how to help...