the copy command

Ray Horsley ray at linkitonline.com
Thu Oct 24 09:15:01 EDT 2002

on 10/23/02 12:29 PM, Ray G. Miller at rgmiller at pacbell.net wrote:

> Listers,
>
> The "copy" command is still bugging me. Should be simple but...
>
> on copyAddress stuff
> ### the address is in stuff
>
> put stuff into fld "theAddress"
>
> put the number of words in fld "theAddress" into theEnd
> copy word 1 to theEnd of fld "theAddress"
> end copyAddress
>
> This does not copy anything.
>
> The fld "theAddress" is locked and hidden.
>
> I've tried selecting the text to no avail. What's the magic word here?

I don't have any trouble with this.  I use it all the time.  I use:

   copy word 1 to (number of words of fld "MyField") of fld "MyField"

The text (without formatting) goes right to the clipboard.  I'm on a Mac G3
running 8.6.  The field is the default field created in MetaCard 2.4.3.

Ray Horsley
Developer, LinkIt! Software