Menubar revisited

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 21 08:22:01 EDT 2002

For those of you who remember my failed efforts to hide/show a menu
in the menubar...

And in the end, threw in the towel and used enable/disable...

Well having a greyed out menu sitting there did not sit well with my
beta testers.

I have one last thing to try.  And quite a few bugs to squish that
aren't going to be easy ones.  Apparently the script to go to an URL
fails on some.  Printing too.

Error:

Did not work to go to website---had to force quit, then it asked me
if I was set up for internet access. Was connected via DSL.

-- She's testing on system 9.x.  Another fella with 9.x succeeded
with no troubles.

on goURL
   global tURL
   if tUrl is empty then
     exit goURL
   end if
   if tURL contains "@" then put "mailto:" before tURL
   if (the platform) is "MacOS" then
     get the systemversion
     set the itemdel to "."
     if item 1 of it >= 10 then # OS X
       put "open location" && quote & tURL & quote into s
       do s as AppleScript
     else # MacOS
       send tUrl to program "Finder" with "GURLGURL"
     end if
   else if (the platform) is "Win32" then

     set the hideConsoleWindows to true
     put empty into theTitle
     if "NT" is in the systemVersion then
       set the shellCommand to "cmd.exe"
       put quote & quote into theTitle
     end if
     get shell("start" && theTitle && tURL)

     # local intApp
     # local EXE_off
     # put
queryRegistry("hkey_local_machine\software\classes\http\shell\open\command\")
into intApp
     # if char 1 of intApp is quote then clear char 1 of intApp  #
strip leading quote
     # put offset("EXE",intApp) into EXE_off
     # put char 1 to (EXE_off+2) of intApp into intApp
     # launch tURL with intApp

   end if
   put empty into tUrl
   set the itemDel to comma