To-be-saved changes are not saved

Axel Buchner axel.buchner at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Nov 28 05:14:01 EST 2002

Here is an instance of really bad behavior of MetaCard, and I wonder whether
anyone knows a solution.

(1) I close a stack script.
(2) A "Save changes?" dialog pops up
(3) I click "Yes"
(4) A  "Script error" dialog pops up with an error message (in this case:
handler: end doesn't match handler name) with "OK" and "Help" as responses
(5) I click ok - after which all changes to the script since the last
explicit save action are lost although I had indicated that I wanted to save
the changes!

I have had this happen many, many times before while working with MetaCard
under MacOS 9 and MacOS X. During the past several months I have lost many
hours of work in this way, and I must say that this is very disappointing,
especially considering MetaCard¹s hefty price tag.

Saving constantly to minimize the loss is what I do now, but
(a) this is annoying
(b) there is still loss of work, and
(c) saving is not always a good idea when I just want to try something.

Does anyone know of a better way to work around this MetaCard problem?

Regards,
Axel Buchner