Taking stacks from Windows to Mac

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Nov 20 15:03:01 EST 2002

Billings, Kristen wrote:

> I am running mc 2.3 on Mac OS 9 and on a PC laptop. I have no problem
> opening stacks on the PC that were saved on the Mac, but when I try to open
> stacks saved on the Mac that were saved on the PC, mc does not recognize
> them. I really need to be able to work both ways cross-platform. Is this not
> possible?

Mac files rely on hidden "Finder info" to determine file type and creator.

In addition to the other solutions presented here, you can also make an
AppleScript droplet to set the type and creator codes appropriately.

Just compile this in Apple's AppleScript editor and save it as an applet:

on open theList
    tell application "Finder"
        set selectionLength to number of items of selection
        if selectionLength = 0 then
            say "Nothing is selected."
        else
            --  first change all the files selected
            set the creator type of every file of selection to "MCRD"
            set the file type of every file of selection to "MSTK"
        end if
    end tell
end open

In theory you can also make an entry for ".mc" in the Mac's File Exchange
control panel, but my results with that here suggest it may not be reliable.