metacard digest, Vol 1 #397 - 8 msgs

curry curry at kagi.com
Tue Nov 12 07:06:01 EST 2002

>>A cross platform developer would need a minimum of 7 computers, if
>>you own all the flavours that your program might run on.

>You need to make a distinction between "computers" and "operating systems".
>You can have one computer that runs many flavors of Windows through
>different means.

That's true. It's still challenging to keep up though. I didn't have
Mac OSX for a long time. Then I just upgraded to Windows XP the other
day--before that I'd done Windows 98. Now, theoretically I need to go
back over to the Mac side and upgrade from X.1 to Jaguar--but then
again, better to have both to test separately rather than upgrade?

So now, I can do Mac 7, 8, 9, and 10.1, and Windows 95 and XP, and if
I'm lucky I'll have one more try at reformatting and get that one to
dual boot to Windows 98 and XP so I'll have all three. But I suppose
the race to keep up with the Gateses and Jobses will have to
continue. (I shudder to think about how many systems they must use at
MetaCard and RunRev--maybe we could see a "day in the life" of these
companies from time to time to show us a bit of behind the scenes for
fun?)

Anyway, I was so happy about catching up somewhat on both platforms,
and had originally assumed that having Mac 10.1 would be OK for
testing on the Mac side, but then on one of the Revolution lists
recently, I heard someone complain about totally nonresponsive
controls and was told that some Appearance Manager stuff was broken
under Jaguar until the next release; they said setting the controls
to non-Appearance Mac did the trick.

I'd rather not upgrade the Mac immediately, and even then there's the
possibility of needing both 10.1 and Jaguar, if there are enough
issues between them, since lots of people have both. Should I wait
for the next Rev/MC release to release anything, and after that,
should 10.1 be sufficient for testing, or will I have to have Jaguar,
or both? Does anyone have the short answer on that? (Besides the
obvious suggestion of kicking someone at Apple in the rear, of
course!)

Curry

(PS: I was wondering why Eudora often marked messages on these lists
as being potentially offensive or "hot" on its "mood" rating. I saw
just now that when I typed "Appearance Manager", it was marked red
and evidently considered flaming! Well, I guess they have a point!
How insightful! :-)