Metacard menu?

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 9 22:12:01 EST 2002

>1. If you can't or don't want to test/troubleshoot your work on a
>platform why bother to publish possibly broken apps for that
>platform.

They are tested on the other platforms before release.  That's how I
found out about the Metacard menu in the first place, though she did
not tell me in time.  Actually, my OSX testers gave the program very
high marks, it was stable, everything appeared to function as
expected, most of the feedback was related to feature requests, I
think only two minor bugs were reported.

Most of the bugs I've been squishing were created after the beta
testers, in a module I've been working for to add to the game later.
I needed certain internal game code to be ready, but the module
itself did not have to be.

One of the reasons I purchased Metacard was the ability to do it
cross platform.  I do not expect to have to OWN each platform.  It
was my understanding that you code one time, and compile three times.
And with a few exceptions, such as the Mac having a Preferences
folder and Windows not, I was under the distinct impression that most
of the cross platform issues are handled internally, within the
engine.

All in all, I go to great lengths to keep the coding as generic as
possible, so that I don't have cross platforms issues.  I've even
abandoned things that I would have liked to use, because they did not
work on all three platforms (certains blends for example).  I choose
fonts that should be loaded on all three platforms, avoiding Geneva
for example, the primary Mac font.  I take all this into account
during creation.

As for testing, I have beta testers for final testing.  I test it as
thoroughly as I can before they get it.  I tested the devil out of
this one in particular.  As my many questions here show.  I test it
until I'm convinced there is nothing broken, and nothing they can
break by doing something unexpected.  I try to figure out every weird
thing a person can do to mess it up, and trap for it.

I've had beta testers intentionally try to break my programs and
fail.  Not to say I've never missed a bug.  Nobody gets it right
every time.  Even programmer's who've been at it for 25 years miss
things.  But in general, I'd say I do better than many shareware
authors in that department.

I even ran tests using the various lookAndFeel options, which are
supposed to emulate the other platforms, are they not?

Based on what I've been told about Metacard's capabilities, this
should be sufficient.

Shari C

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--