Corrupt 2.4.2 stacks (was: Absolute paths for Quicktime movies?)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat May 18 16:40:01 EDT 2002

> Thanks for the responses. I am sorry, but these relative paths do not
> work here.
>
> They worked - for years - with earlier versions, but not with the latest
> Metacard version on Windows 98. I tried on two different computers. No
> problems with image and sound files, but with mov-files.

I reproduced the same stack with relative paths for Quicktime movies
under 2.3.2 and it ran without problems. Performance of the Metacard
environment was also much quicker than under 2.4.2 where the relative
paths did not work (both stacks under Windows 98)

I then happened to come across some weird behavior in 2.4.2:
When I tried to look at the script of the player object I got a "reload
dialog" with the text "A Stack with the name "Metacard Menu Bar" has
already been loaded. Prior to loading B://mctools.mc do you want to save
the current stack or purge it?"

Apparently these Metacard 2.4.2 stacks were somehow corrupted and I
downloaded "mcsetup.exe" from ftp.metacard.com to reinstall.
However, with "mcsetup.exe" an installation failed repeatedly, i.e. with
repeated downloads and repeated installation attempts. I remember some
of my students telling me that, too.

I downloaded "win32.zip" and happily everything works so far under
Windows 98 even with relative paths of Quicktime movies.

One question would be, how did 2.4.2 become corrupted? With the
exception of the Quicktime movies (having tried out various forms - with
soundtrack, object movie, panorama movie) all other stacks I transferred
or created new in 2.4.2 ran fine.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke