Absolute paths for Quicktime movies?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat May 18 15:22:01 EDT 2002

Wilhelm wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. I am sorry, but these relative paths do not
> work here.
>
> They worked - for years - with earlier versions, but not with the latest
> Metacard version on Windows 98. I tried on two different computers. No
> problems with image and sound files, but with mov-files.

I don't know if this applies to your configuration at all, but we were
bitten with a problem when making CD's for windows 98  a year ago. I could
not put the engine (or standalone) on the top level of the CD. If I did
that, "put the effective filename of this stack into NewPath" would always
fail. i.e. all subsequent relative references to media in folders on the
same level were broken, but, and this is weird... only QT movies.

But, if I put the engine (or stand alone) inside a folder with the external
media in other folders also inside that same folder, and then burned the CD,
then it worked fine without any changes in the script. Only caveat was the
not so nice issue of forcing the user to open a folder before he can click
on your app... but if you make a nice icon for the folder, the user doesn't
think twice about it...

A young certified PC tech support teenager told us "Oh, yeah that's an old
problem, drove me crazy already a couple of times as it shows up in other
software also... where installers put stuff on root and then the app can't
find some support files even though their paths are hardwired into the app's
code....people call me to "fix it" and I can't find anything wrong... it's
not Metacard and its not QT it's an obscure windoz bug... just be sure you
put everything in a folder... not on the top level of any volume."

> "put the effective filename of this stack into NewPath
> set the itemdel to "/"
> delete last item of NewPath
> put "/whatever.mov" after last item of NewPath
> set the filename of Player 1 to NewPath".
>
> Regards and thanks,
>
> Wilhelm Sanke

Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager
katir at hindu.org
www.HinduismToday.com, www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.Gurudeva.org, www.hindu.org

Read The Master Course Lesson of the Day at
http://www.gurudeva.org/lesson.shtml