MetaCard as a Internet browser

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Sat May 4 14:29:01 EDT 2002

Hi, everyone on the list.

Recently while looking in the internet
for scripts that tell the browser model,
connection type and plug-ins installed,
I found that almost every app that connect
to the Internet has his very own way to tell
the user connection speed.

How can I detect from MetaCard the speed of
connection?
If doable, then it will be possible
to know the type and size of content that
I can send to the user (movies,jpg's,gif's)
if the user has Quicktime installed or not,
the size of the screen, the depth bit color.

What else could I need to know about the user
configuration, to send him content suited to
his machine?

By the way, is there some way to cache on disk
(not in memory) the files that the user receive?
As I'll be sending some movies, and the application
could crash if it loads all at once just in memory.

The main purpose of this is to make an interactive
presentation that includes music files, movies
(short clips) photos and text. The user could
download all at once or just download the parts that
he wants to see from the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Alejandro Tejada