launch theFile with theProgram

Shari gogypsy at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 28 09:34:01 EST 2002

The objective:

To launch a text file with a text program (Simpletext on Mac, ? on Windows)

The problem:

How to get the filepath of the program?  "launch Simpletext" produces
"error -43" on my computer.  So if there is some default location
built into Metacard, it doesn't always work.  I moved Simpletext to
the toplevel of my HD and it still produced the error.  (It's
currently in my Applications folder.)

Everyone doesn't have the same setup, things get moved around to suit
people's tastes.  How to find out where Simpletext is?  And what
would the equivalent be on Windows?

The only workaround I found was to put a copy of Simpletext with my
program, to launch from.  Not a desireable option.  (Especially if
they know they have the program already and trash mine.)  And it
wouldn't help me for what to do to launch a text file on Windows.

Anybody?

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com