Multiple Platform Release info

Shari gogypsy at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 24 17:27:01 EST 2002

>It's easy up until just after creating the standalone.  After that, you've
>got type and creator issues, icon differences, memory allocation (OS 9), and
>on Windows creating an installer for the app (got that one covered,
>actually.)  But a nice tutorial on the three platforms would be great, if
>someone's already done it.  If not, I'd be willing to collaborate and host a
>web page, or just collaborate.
>
>Is it my imagination, or has this list gotten a lot smaller since Revolution
>was released?  AND is it just me, or are the questions and issues here more
>"hardcore" in general now?  I'm wondering if all the newbies went to
>Revolution, leaving us hardcores here to discuss cgi and xml...
>
>:)
>Richard MacLemale

Hmm... I plan to handle the type and creator issues exactly as I did
in Hypercard.  I spent a lot of time in my resource fork before
releasing, so I should be able to handle that part just fine :-)

But what is this memory allocation for OS9, and how is that implemented?

And is it necessary to create an installer for Windows?  Can't you
just Zip the file instead of binhex it, and distribute it that way?

Also, what is the Windows equivalent of a Preferences folder?  If the
program creates a file, that you don't want in the same folder as the
program itself, that would normally go in the Mac Preferences file...
where to put on Windows?

Re:  Revolution... I actually downloaded both Metacard and
Revolution, and started out using Revolution.  Word on the 'net was
that Revolution was cheaper and had more features, but used the same
engine.  Good selling points.  But Revolution crashed every few
minutes, literally, during development.  And I had to adopt the habit
of copying EVERY SINGLE code change, addition, etc. to a SimpleText
file, so that when it crashed and burned, I did not lose whatever
code I had just written.  And the crashes required hard restarts of
my computer... every single time.  The annoy factor was 120%.  And I
wondered about putting out a program with such an unstable tool.  I
decided it wasn't worth the risk.  And as far as I knew, both
programs had the same features as far as what you could do with them,
just the interface was different.  So I chose Metacard, for its
stability.  For its long track record of stability and support.

Shari C

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com