MetaCard 2.4.2 beta 3

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Sun Mar 17 06:22:26 EST 2002

At 9:08 PM -0800 3/16/2002, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> This release uses a new Perl-compatible regular expression library.
>> This library includes new support for Perl pattern characters and
>> non-greedy matches.
>
>What's this do? How would we use Perl in our scripts? Can anyone give an
>example of when this feature would be handy?

"Perl-compatible" just means the regular expressions now work the same way
as regular expressions work in Perl (so you can e.g. check out typical Perl
examples and they should match the same things), not that you can use Perl
itself in scripts.

What is means basically is that
- regular expressions are now more powerful with more options
- you'll be able to use regular expression patterns from other languages
with more confidence that they'll work the same way
- the list will never again have to scratch its head for weeks over how to
devise a regular expression that matches "all the text between '<' and '>'"
without grabbing all the text from the first '<' in the string to the last
'>' instead ;-)

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!