MetaCard 2.4.2 beta 3

andu undo at cloud9.net
Sun Mar 17 01:29:00 EST 2002

"J. Landman Gay" wrote:

> >From the new Read Me file:
>
> > This release uses a new Perl-compatible regular expression library.
> > This library includes new support for Perl pattern characters and
> > non-greedy matches.
>
> What's this do? How would we use Perl in our scripts? Can anyone give an
> example of when this feature would be handy?

I'm pretty sure this refers to improvements in handling pattern matches
in matchText() kind of functions which is great. Examples are a must
nevertheless.
A while ago I had an exchange with Scott on a slightly related matter
and was wondering what others think:

<exchange>
Andu wrote:
> > the mouseText is smart enough to not count quotes, [, (, etc.
> >  between words but if I say "repeat for each word i in tText", "i" includes "any" chunk
> > without a space in it including comma.
> > Is this fixed in 2.4.2?

... and Scott answered:

> No, because it's not a bug.  It's just the way "word" chunks have
> always worked.  I guess the only thing this points up is that "the
> mouseWord" would have to work the same way as word chunks, if there
> was such a function...

... to which Andu replied:

Why isn't mouseText() using the same definition of "word", then?
"the mouseText is among the words of X" can give the right or wrong
answer depending on which definition you consider, the one given for
what the mouseText() should return or the one given to the "word" chunk.
Since both forms have their uses I suggest some cross breeding like
"effective word(s)" for what the mouseText returns and as you suggested,
mouseWord() for tab/space separated chunks.
</exchange>