URLs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Fri Mar 15 20:30:00 EST 2002

Shari wrote:

> Someone said GURLGURL doesn't work on OS X,

Use this, from the revGoURL command in the Revolution libraries:

      put "open location "&quote& tURL &quote into s
      do s as AppleScript

> and I don't see a way in Metacard to determine whether the person
> is running OS X or not.

The version function returns the current OS version.  In the case of the Mac
I'm using now, for example, it returns "9.2.2".

Because a version number may have two or more periods, you can count on
being able to do arithmetic comparisons with it directly.  To check for OS X
in our WebMerge product, I grab the first part of the string returned by
"the version" and do the compare on that:

function IsOSX
  if the platform is not "MacOS" then return false
  get the systemversion
  set the itemdel to "."
  if item 1 of it >= 10 then return true
  return false
end IsOSX

> Someone said "mailto" doesn't work on Win32, so it wasn't clear how
> that was handled.

The "open location" method seems to handle that as well.

> Someone had a handler that worked great on Explorer, but apparently
> failed on other browsers.

The "open location" method works pretty consistently here, testing on IE,
NN, Opera, and AOL, under OS X (10.1), OS 9.2.2, and 8.6.

One thing to note: NN is much picker about URL formats than IE.  In IE,
spaces are tolerated, but they've caused trouble in IE.  Replace the spaces
with "%20" and it works across the test matrix noted above.

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 1.9: Publish any Database on Any Site