metacard for CGI

andu undo at cloud9.net
Wed Mar 6 23:31:01 EST 2002

Alex Shaw wrote:

> Hi Andu
>
> I've just started to develop private projects using cmc.exe & a combination
> of ASP so I would definately appreciate some documentation. What I have
> working so far (on win xp pro & iis) is working fine but I haven't tried
> anything tricky yet.. like calling a mc stack that accesses a valentina db

It was not my intention to start a How-To Metacard/Rev for cgi scripting
but rather to document the actual usage of the engine for this purpose
and get a feel for what others who do cgi work with MC think about it.
My motivation was selfish: if I promote MC to my clients for their web
applications I need to have answers for a lot of questions.
That being said, I would definitely enjoy sharing and learning on this
subject, my only reservation, as in the past, is that there isn't much
to talk about about cgi scripting which would be any different from
general MC scripting.
As it was mentioned earlier, a trick to avoid the hardship of debugging
is to do the script in a stack (you can use the debugger and error
messages) and just replace the handler when you copy it to the cgi
script.
Calling a stack from a script is done with "start using theStack" and
using "the result" from the handler called in the stack but I didn't try
using externals. I did however use other programs (database) with the
shell() function.

In terms of recommendations I think Linux is the best platform for this
kind of stuff followed by OS X/Darwin and NT family. MacOS up to 9.x is
just for wasting time with appleEvents. I also recommend using, for
example Sendmail or equivalent and shell() for email as opposed to MC's
sockets in combination with "wait for messages" for reasons of
reliability not to mention that with a line of code you are done.
Maybe I should do a How-To, after all...;-) Time is a problem.