Mouse performance

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Fri Jun 7 09:05:01 EDT 2002

Karl Becker wrote:

> I have a script that uses a repeat loop to keep an image stuck to the
> cursor until the mouse is released.  However, sometimes MC doesn't
> realize the mouse is up, even when it is.  When this happens, the image
> gets permanently stuck to the cursor, and I can do nothing to get out of
> the loop.  This happens quite a bit with OS X, more than in OS 9,
> probably since the system itself (GUI included) is slower and my app
> can't keep the frame rate up in X as fast as in 9.
>
> Is there some way to improve performance?  I'm trying to imagine ways to
> make the image use a "grab me" or even a mouseMove handler, but here's
> the tricky part: the user drags a number value from a field and then an
> image is created, on the fly, as the user drags away outside of the
> field.
>
> Also, in a related note,
> the grab command seems to work only when it's called by using:
> grab me
> I cannot seem to put a script in another object that says
> grab image "chip"
>
> If I could do that, my problem would be solved, but alas, it's not
> working for me.  Does that work for anyone else?

Hmmmm...  this works:

on mouseDown
  grab the target
end mouseDown

There's a long thread about checking the mouse state vs. using the mouseMove
message (the latter is strongly recommended):

<http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=short&config
=metacard_lists_runrev_com&restrict=&exclude=&words=mousemove>

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 2.0: Publish any Database on Any Site