Practical Maximum number of fields on a card

Richard MacLemale rmaclema at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 30 22:24:01 EDT 2002

On 7/30/02 12:01 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Traditional spreadsheets use one list field for display, and create an
> editable text field on the fly when the user clicks a cell.   Suck an
> approch reduces your object count to 2 -- just hide the editable field on
> closeField, and when you need it again calculate its rect and show it over
> the cell the user clicked on.
>
> Then again, if your current layout is working well, there may be no need to
> change it.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin

Hmm.  I hadn't thought of that.  That's an interesting approach.  The math
to determine the rect of a field based on the clicklocation on the fly might
be hairy, and I'm not sure that MC would hold up to some users who "machine
gun" click.  'Course I could be wrong.  It could probably be done.  But like
you said, what I'm doing is working well (and I'm almost done!) so I'll
probably just go with it...

Thanks also to Wilhelm Sanke for his posted benchmarks about MC and multiple
fields.  It does seem that MC can handle 2,000 - 3,000 fields pretty well.

--
:)
Richard MacLemale