Feature idea: auto-complete typing in scripts

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Sat Jul 27 12:22:01 EDT 2002

I'm not sure if this is possible to write a script that would do this
(it's definitely not possible very easily, I don't think), but wouldn't
it be great if, while editing an object's script, you could simply type
in the first couple characters of a variable name and the entire word
would be automatically filled out for you, just as URLs are
auto-completed in web browsers now?

If a script could somehow keep track of the unrecognized words in a
script (those that aren't reserved by MetaCard) and then figure out when
you've typed in the first letter or two of a variable name, then
autocomplete the rest of the word (while keeping it highlighted so you
could easily change the auto-completed part, just like in a web
browser)... boy, would that be useful!

Has anyone ever done anything like this?  Ever attempted to?  I'd
imagine a script could simply be put in the script editor stack
somehow... but I'm a bit chicken to attempt this all by myself  :-)
--
Karl Becker, KB Productions
http://www.karlbecker.com