Metacard 2.4.3 and Windows 95

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Wed Jul 17 18:38:01 EDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002  Wilhelm Sanke <sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de> wrote:

> Trying to present stacks with Metacard 2.4.3 (final version of July,
> 16th)

Note that this is not the final version, it's an (unannounced) gamma
test release, the purpose of which was to allow those few customers
who reported bugs against the betas to verify that they had been
fixed.

> on a Windows 95 computer at a school ( There are a lot of such
> computers still around in educational institutions.) I could not get
> Metacard running and a certain DLL was flagged as missing.

Hmm.  It would have been nice to find out about this during the beta
test period...

> As there are also Windows95 computers within my reach at my office, I
> tried to determine which Dlls were missing in Windows 95. They are in
> the order of the error messages:
>
> IPHLPAPI.dll
> WS2_32.dll
> WS2HELP.dll
> DHCPCSVC.dll
> IPCFGDLL.dll

Only the first of these is significant: it's a library used only for
the new dnsServers() function.  Unfortunately there is no way to make
that function work on Windows 95 because Microsoft didn't make that
library available until Windows 98 (and though it's available on NT,
it doesn't support the DNS address function).

> After having copied these DLLs from the Windows 98 system´s folder into
> the Metacard folder, Metacard 2.4.3 runs without problems on a Windows
> 95 machine.
>
> There are  no such problems with Metacard 2.4.2.
>
> There is no mentioning of these necessary DLLs for Windows 95 in the
> Readme file of 2.4.3; also in the Preferences menuitem under LookandFeel
> "Windows 95" is still present as an option.

The incompatibility was unintentional, and we've hacked up a
workaround for buildNumber 2, now available for Win32 and MacOS in the
directory ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/

Please verify that this build runs on Windows 95 without those
libraries (our W95 test machine died and no one here can work up any
enthusiasm to go used-computer shopping to find a replacement ;-)
It'd also be useful to know if the dnsServers() function works on your
Windows 95 system with those Windows 98 libraries installed.
  Regards,
    Scott