Images and Image Data

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 4 07:15:01 EDT 2002

Michael Crawford wrote:

> I have a little project in which I want to convert an array of numbers from
> a text file into an image file. This will be done by making the highest
> number white and the lowest number in the array black. The number in
> between will be assigned a grey value depending on the amount.
>
> For example 100,50,0,50,100 would make an image 1 pixel high and 5 pixels
> across. The end pixels would be white the middle one black and the ones
> either side 50% grey.
>
> Manipulating the numbers is fine but generating the image from those
> numbers is proving problematic. I can see that you should use the ImageData
> property to do this but how just seems  completely beyound me at the moment.
>
> Does any one have any examples or pointers on how I should go about doing
> this?

You must have missed this post from Ken yesterday -- sounds like just what
the doctor ordered:

From: Ken Ray
*    Subject: Fun With ImageData, MaskData and AlphaData
*    Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:14:19 -0700

Just wanted to let you all know that I've been working with these cool
image-manipulation features of MetaCard and wrapped my head around them
enough to write up a treatise on how to use them along with some examples.
Here's the relevant links to the Tips section of the MetaCard page of my
site to those who are interested :

http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/metacard/metacard.htm

Click on the following links:

imag003 - Understanding ImageData, MaskData and AlphaData
imag004 - Making a Single Color Transparent Using MaskData
imag005 - Making an Image Translucent Using AlphaData

Enjoy!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 2.0: Publish any Database on Any Site