Opening local HTML pages in the default browser under OS X

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Wed Jan 23 00:14:01 EST 2002

Sivakatirswami wrote:

>> This works great for opening the user's default browser to a specified
>> remote URL under OS X:
>> put "open location "&quote&tURL&quote into s
>> do s as applescript
>> But what do I do to open a local HTML page under OS X?  Using the above,
>> even with the "file://" service specifier, fails (page not found).
>
> I haven't moved up to OSX but will next month probably... and this will be a
> (big) issue for us then...don't appleEvents work any more in OSX?
>
> send  "file:///TAKA/index.html"   to program "finder" with "GURLGURL"
>
> works in 9.1... assuming internet config is set up properly on the station
> that is running the app. Where "TAKA" is a volume mounted on the desktop...

Apple events may work, but not the ol' 'GURLGURL'.  But note that the
"solution" I posted yesterday is only half a solution:  it will launch a
local HTML file in a browser, but using "open" in AppleScript via the Finder
opens the document according to its creator code, which means that this may
or may not be the user's default browser.

I've set my document in question to "MSIE", so I'll be okay 90% of the time.
But I would like a more graceful solution, something that will use the
default browser.  Odd that "open location" works so well for external URLs,
though....

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 1.9: Publish your database on the Web