"Save As" protocol

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jan 20 13:37:01 EST 2002

on 1/20/02 7:07 AM, metacard-request at lists.runrev.com at
metacard-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> My
> current copy is always named someProgramName.mc, while the copies are
> someProgramName-2.mc, someProgramName-3.mc etc.  Those number don't
> mean anything at all, except to show that they are copies of the
> original, in case I ball up the original.  But the original, I want
> to keep working in, and just save copies as I go, for safekeeping.

Having worked in a professional editorial environment for 30 years, where
numerous galleys (previous versions)  of any given document must be
maintained for safety sake and revision control, I want to affirm the
above... PLEASE don't change it... the current "Mac" way of implementing
"Save As" means that you end up in a new document and the "old document" as
it was "disappears." This has "bitten" our editors more than once, where the
current document gets corrupted and there is no file on disc with the latest
revisions. To overcome this we have a policy that before you start work on a
new document you should make a copy of it... name it with a new revision
number and continue working in the original...this is a big nuisance. And a
lot of grief would be saved if Quark Express did it the Metacard/Rev way.

Om shanti,
Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager
katir at hindu.org
www.HinduismToday.com, www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.Gurudeva.org, www.hindu.org

Read The Master Course Lesson of the Day at
http://www.gurudeva.org/lesson.shtml