Window Shape/Style

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Tue Jan 15 18:15:00 EST 2002

At 8:57 PM -0800 1/14/2002, Terry Judd wrote:
>Your right, it definitely won't work! I also tried using this WDEF in
>SuperCard and it brought the whole house down. Revs handling of
>system WDEFs in general has me slightly confused. In SuperCard for
>example you can set the WDEF of a window to any of the system WDEFs
>(you can get a list of these from the system file using ResEdit) and
>supply an additional variable to specify specific window decorations
>
>eg - set the wdef of wd 1 to "124,4"
>
>I'm not sure where the numbers Rev uses come from?

It sounds like SuperCard has you specify the WDEF resource ID and the
variation code independently. (A WDEF can support up to 16 variation codes,
each one a variation of the basic window appearance coded by the WDEF.)

In Rev and MetaCard, you instead multiply the resource ID by 16 and add the
variation code as a number between zero and 15. For example, to use
variation 6 of a fictional WDEF whose resource ID is 20, you'd specify (20
* 16) + 5 = 325:

  set the decorations of stack "Whatever" to 325

It sounds like the SuperCard syntax, or even better something like "set the
decorations of window to WDEF 20 with variation 5", is more elegant - maybe
something that could be added as an enhancement at some point. But the
functionality is the same, you just have to remember the little formula
above.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!