Strategies for two-byte char systems

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 03:18:01 EST 2002

At 5:33 pm -0800 14/2/02, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>Nikorasu Kweto wrote:
>
>>  BTW, this topic's been raised before, and IMO was covered well by Dave
>>  Cragg. Search the archives for his name -- or perhaps he'll answer you
>>  himself any moment now :-)
>
>I try.  I searched for "two-byte" and got zero results.  I search for "two
>byte" (without the hyphen) and got six entries completely unrelated to
>discussions of two-byte solutions.  And of course when I searched for "Dave
>Cragg" I got more than 150 entries, which I'm still sifting through. :)

I deny everything. :)

There was a short thread on the Rev list about using Japanese back in
December, pointing out the various pitfalls, and a few tips.
Basically, it's possible for display purposes, not for editing. (I've
since discovered there's a further pitfall on Windows XP, where just
setting an appropriate font isn't enough. You have to twiddle with a
control panel setting to allow "non-unicode" programs to display in
Japanese. This seems to include Metacard.)

However, I'm betting that the recent influx of former HyperCard and
Supercard users to the Rev and MC stable will push this up the
priority ladder.

Cheers
Dave Cragg