Clicking outside movie windows

Shari gogypsy at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 14 12:25:01 EST 2002

>  > Playing a movie in a player window, how do I prevent messages from
>  > being sent while the movie is playing?
>  >
>  > I have several pulldown menu buttons on the card, and if I click on
>  > one of them during the movie, the pulldown menus appear.

>Basically 2 options:
>1. 'show' a transparent button over the pulldown (and any other menus)
>buttons.
>2. Script:
>
>   disable button "myPulldownMenu"
>
>The second is neater, because it also gives the use feedback about why she
>can't click the menus, but the first one may be easier to implement, because
>it also blocks other 'mouse' messages to be sent. (A combination of the two
>is also possible, of course!)
>
>Regards, / Groeten, Sjoerd

Actually the first sounds like my ticket, great idea!  Now why didn't
I think of it?  <grin>

The card in question has a large number of buttons, laid out in a
grid, it would definitely cause a slowdown to have a handler disable
all the buttons before playing the movie, and then enable them all
again.

A transparent button over it all is the perfect solution!  I did
things like that in Hypercard all the time, when I'd show graphics
and even with the opaque box checked, text from underlying fields
would show through.  So I'd create a card size button, color it and
use it as a backdrop, and voila, problem solved.

Thanks!  I spent hours trying to solve this one yesterday, ach!

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com