AppleEvents on Windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Tue Feb 12 14:01:00 EST 2002

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> What does one use in place of apple events on Windows machines?

First Microsoft said to use DDE.  Then they said don't use DDE, use COM,
sine DDE was being phased out.  Now that .Net is here they're saying COM is
out and there's a new API to use.  Yet in the latest versions of MS' own
products (Word and Excel) it seems they use DDE.

And then there's VBA, the interpreter that uses the protocol de jour to
actually get your meathooks into the object models of various apps.  But
while most of MS' apps use VBA, most non-MS apps don't, so there's nothing
like the universality of AE across the MS world.

If there's more to this story I would be very grateful to learn it.  I could
use something like AE on Wintel myself....

In the meantime, the only consistent inter-process communication I've found
is launching apps and watching stdin when they exit, but even that seems old
fashioned in today's event-driven world.

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 1.9: Publish any Database on Any Site