Newbie question about the bucket tool

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Sun Dec 29 14:54:00 EST 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 Jeanpaulpoccard at aol.com wrote:
>     Bonjour,
>
>     I don’t understand why the paint tools which work with macOS behave in a
> strange way with Windows.
>
>     If I choose a color (for instance a green defined by the RGB values
> 125,255,O), I expect each pixel which I paint to have exactly this color.
>     This is performed without any problem by my mac.
>     My computer running with Windows OS seems to display the chosen color,
> but in facts, the area which is should painted with it  is filled with a
> mosaic of pixels with slightly different  colors. (If the chosen color is
> 125,255,O, then the colors of the mosaic are 115,255,0 and 123,255,0).
>     When a shape is filled with a mosaic instead of a plain color, of course
> the bucket tool will operate only on the contiguous pixels having exactly the
> same color.
>     Could anyone help me with mastering the paint tools or explain me why
> Windows does not allow me to paint with the exact colors I choose ?

The only thing I can guess is that you're running in 8-bit (256-color)
mode and your graphics card is being too clever and dithering even
when it's not supposed.  Running in 32-bit depth is the best solution
to this problem, but I'd also consider that graphics card and/or
driver to be suspect and one or both probably should be upgraded.
  Regards,
    Scott